The quick update: We had day 5 transfer on Friday! We transferred one beautiful blastocyst of the highest grade the clinic gives.

Here it is:


I can’t stop looking at it. I picture floating around, then burrowing in for a nice long stay. It’s so amazing to know that there is an embryo inside of me at this very moment. It’s so scary to know that as well. It it doesn’t take I’m afraid I’ll feel my body failed it somehow. It is great to know that I can carry a child to term, I can get and stay pregnant. I just don’t know if this embryo will be our next baby, but I have high hopes that it will.

Transfer itself was smooth and easy. (more on that in a bit..) The trek downtown was in no way smooth. It snowed yesterday morning, wrecking havoc on the interstate system in Chicago. Travel times were absurd – we gave ourselves 2 hrs and 20 minutes to get downtown (a drive that should take an hour without traffic). It was nerve wracking wondering if we were going to make it on time. We were 20 minutes behind, but the clinic was running an hour late so it was moot. I was able to empty my bladder upon arrival (thankfully bc I had to go!) then start drinking 20 ounces of water to fill it back up before they took me back.

My appointment was at 9:50, they brought me back around 11 am. The nurse asked me to undress from the waist down, but I could leave on my shirt. Which I did, bc of course I had to wear my other ranch t-shirt for good luck πŸ˜‰

The doctor dropped in, a nice male doctor from the practice who I’ve never met. He was warm and kind though. He went through the report with me. 9 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 3 fertilized (normal as they expect a 70% fertilization rate). Of the 3 embryos, one turned into a beautiful blast, and the two others are a bit behind but they hope they will catch up. The blast they do have was a something double a, the best grade they can hope for. They suggested transferring the one, and letting the other two develop and hopefully make it to freeze today. Carlos and I both signed off that we agreed, to transfer the one blast and freeze the rest. The doctor left, the nurse promptly came back in with a blanket and said to take the Valium then. Which I did. She also said “you’re only doing one?! You could carry twins! Are you scared? I carried twins until 39 weeks..” Kind of funny, I didn’t mind, and was good with our decision to do an eSET as the doctor recommended.

Then she got me settled into the stirrups (scoot down. Keep scooting…a little bit more…. You all know the drill) they wheeled in the ultrasound machine. The embryologist came in then to present the embryo and confirm my date of birth. The doctor and the nurse came back. They showed us the embryo on the tv screen. Then started the transfer process. While they did an external ultrasound (sooo weird and non obtrusive ), the doc got to work down under. It was quick, before I knew it the embryo was transferred and they were pointing to the ultrasound screen but I couldn’t quite make it out. They gave Carlos the ultrasound printouts of the embryo in my uterus.

It was over. I was able to get up and go to the bathroom right away and go home for the prescribed 48 hours of bedrest. The Valium made me feel plain silly, floaty, and strange.

Pregnancy test Monday, February 4th. I’ll know this coming Monday if our two embryos made it to freeze (I very much hope they do).

Here is the ultrasound of the embryo in my uterus:


Here’s the fortune I got yesterday post-retrieval. Hoping it’s a good omen πŸ™‚

Yesterday’s good luck ranch t-shirt:


Bedrest has been fine….I get stir crazy pretty easy and I hate not taking care of Leopold as I normally do. But Carlos has been great making meals and entertaining Leopold.

Deep breaths. We’ll know in a little over a week.


12 thoughts on “Transfer

  1. So happy it all went well after the nightmare traffic situation….Rest up and take care….Think positive thoughts and I’ll be sending every positive thought I have your way….

  2. That’s a beautiful embryo! I bet it’s snuggling in nice and tight right now!! Glad you got your rest in this weekend, even if it was kinda tough for you.

    I hate that you had the added stress of traffic in the morning but I’m glad it ended up being a non-issue. Just another part of your story! πŸ˜‰

    And I love the fortune!!

    Hugs, A!! I’m thinking of you and your uterus!! πŸ˜‰

  3. This is all bringing back such fond memories for me :). I hope those two other embabies keep pushing and I just know good tings are to come with the embaby that’s “burrowing” as I type this. Love the fortune. I’m praying for you, my friend!! xoxo

  4. What a beauty!!! πŸ™‚ Thinking of you and feeling very hopeful for this beautiful little embie. I hope you are enjoying your day with Leopold today off of bed rest. Fingers are crossed for you for next Mondays results!!! πŸ™‚

  5. Pingback: IVF January 2013 daily log | Mellow in the Midwest

  6. What a beautiful embryo … I am seriously crossing everything for you! I tested at 7dp5dt and got a great solid positive. Not sure if you’re planning on testing at home or not but thought I’d tell you thats when I got my positive πŸ™‚ I will be waiting with you and watching for updates in hopes that I read about a bfp! I also hope that your 2 remaining embies make it to freeze!

  7. Pingback: one year ago yesterday… | Mellow in the Midwest

Leave a comment

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s